Many people would probably traditionally associate roulade cakes (or Jelly Rolls) with a visit to Grandmas house, and rolled cakes are abundant in horrible versions in supermarkets all across the world at discount prices.
I personally think this is a shame, because baked light and airy and served with a sauce from fresh berries it would just be wrong to archive it under ”old fashioned and boring”.
- 2 Free range eggs
- ⅔ Cup of sugar
- 1 Cup of flour
- 1 1?2 Teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon of cold water Icing sugar for decoration
- 1 1?4 Cups of jam sugar 30 Oz of strawberries
- 16 Oz of fresh berries 1?2 Cup of icing sugar 1?2 Lemon
- Line a pan with waxed paper, coat with cooking spray and preheat oven to 450 F°
- Beat eggs and sugar until light. Stir flour and baking powder together in a large mixing, then add tablespoon of cold water and blend. Fold in egg mixture and spread batter evenly in pan. Bake for about 5 minutes until it bounces back when touched. Turn pan upside down and release the cake onto damp cloth.
- Rinse and trim the strawberries. Mix strawberries and sugar in a large saucepan and heat slowly for 15 minutes. Shake the pan gently every once in a while, but do not stir it. Remove any foam.
- Remove jam from heat and leave to rest for 15 minutes or until it has cooled down.
- Spread jam across the cake, and roll up. Sprinkle the outside with icing sugar.
- Rinse and blend fresh berries together with icing sugar and lemon in a blender.
- Cut cake into 2 inch slices, and serve one slice of rolled cake surrounded by a little berry sauce on each plate.