This semolina cake is common in Turkey and goes by the name basbousa in Egypt. Try this revani cake softened and soaked in a sweet syrup.
Revani is a Turkish sweet semolina cake soaked in sugar syrup.You can say that it is more like the traditional Middle eastern Semolina Syrup Cake “Basbousa’. Actually the only difference is in the name, in Egypt it is called Basbousa and in Turkey it is well known by the name of ‘Revani “.
I made it a couple of months back and totally loved it. My family went crazy for this mouth melting sweet.That day we had some guests come over for lunch and it was one of the dessert along with Mango Sago and strawberry ice cream.That’s why I couldn’t click pictures of inside cake but let me tell you everyone liked the semolina syrup cake to the core.If you have a sweet tooth like me ,do try this simple and tempting dessert from Turkish cuisine.
- Author: Sapana Behl
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Baking, Cake
- Cuisine: Turkish
- 1 1/2 cup fine semolina/rava/suzi
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon oil to grease baking tray
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- desiccated coconut
- almonds (sliced)
- pistachios (sliced)
- In a saucepan add sugar and water.Cook for 10 minutes.Add lemon juice and make a syrup of one thread consistency.Let the syrup cool.
- Grease a square baking tray with oil.
- In a mixing bowl add condensed milk,yogurt and olive oil.Whisk to combine.
- Add semolina,baking powder,lemon juice and zest.Whisk again to combine all the ingredients.
- Pour it in the greased baking tray.Bake the cake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from oven and pour the cool syrup over warm cake.
- Sprinkle garnish of your choice.
- Slice and serve.Enjoy.
I am Sapana Behl a stay at home mom of two lovely princesses,a passionate foodie and an enthusiastic food blogger.
One can condensed milk means 400 gms?
Yes , Anu that’s the amount it should be.