These superb blondies will surprise you with their secret protein-rich ingredient, chick peas. Skip the excess sugar, too. All the sweetness in this recipe comes from the peanut butter and maple syrup.
By Robin Runner
I made these and didn’t tell anyone what the ingredients were. Everyone ate them without missing a beat. These blondies are Protein packed minus the “junk” found in regular blondies. But if you’re looking for a clean snack idea for your kids or yourself that won’t blow your gym efforts or make you riddled with guilt over eating something less than healthy… these are for you!
Protein Filled Blondies
- Author: Robin Runner
- 1 can of low sodium chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
- 1/2 cup of peanut butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract or paste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Optional: 1/4 cup of dark chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spray your 8×8 glass baking pan with baking spray and set aside.
- Into your Vitamix or food processor add, chickpeas, peanut butter, syrup, vanilla, salt, soda and powder. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Then gently spoon this mixture out into your prepared pan. If you using chocolate chips, add to the top of the blondies. If not, place in the oven and bake for 24 minutes or until the edges are just golden and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool completely then remove and slice.
- Category: Dessert
Robin Runner is the blogger behind www.kneadtocook.com. She grew up around two of her greatest inspirations, her Italian grandmother and her aunt. Both believed in farm to table foods, purity in nature and love as the main ingredient for anything on their menu. Today, Robin is a strong advocate of farming and buying local ingredients, as well as composting to help repurpose food scraps into rich soil for our garden.