PARTNER POST: Reinvent classic potato dishes to create a new holiday tradition. This year, forget the tried and true recipes and show off your cooking skills with a twist on an old favorite.
Make a beautiful party bites of crispy spinach and potato cakes topped with a jewel-toned cranberry orange sauce.
By Manali Singh
This holiday season ditch traditional potato recipes and try these vegetarian potato cakes served with a cranberry orange chutney. They make a delightful appetizer.
If you are familiar with Indian street food then you would know that a lot of it has to do with potatoes. I love the crispy aloo tikki, the pav bhaji, samosa etc. etc. and all these things have one thing in common – yes potatoes! I think potatoes are one thing which are loved universally in this world and that’s why they are always present on your holiday table as well.
Why bring the boring old mashed potatoes or roasted potatoes to your gathering? If you want to do something fun and interesting with potatoes this holiday season then I have the perfect recipe for you. Wow your guests at a party by serving these potato cakes topped with cranberry orange sauce. They come together quickly and taste amazing!
The potato cakes require minimal prep work. You just need to boil the potatoes and then add in everything together and form a dough. And then dip the cake in panko bread crumbs and cook them till they turn golden brown in color. I love using panko bread crumbs because it provides such a nice texture and crunch however you can use regular bread crumbs too. I absolutely love cranberry and orange together and this chutney was just meant to be put of top of these potato cakes!
- 12 oz pack of fresh cranberries
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1.5 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup orange juice
- ½ + 2 tablespoons cup brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoon all spice
- salt & pepper, to taste
- zest of 1 orange
- 2 medium potatoes, boiled [around 1.5 cups mashed potatoes]
- ½ cup chopped spinach
- ¼ cup carrot
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- salt & pepper, to taste
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 4 tablespoons oil
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat. Once oil is hot, add onion and ginger and cook for 2-3 minutes or till the onion is soft and cooked.
- Add cranberries, orange juice, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, all spice, salt and pepper and mix till everything is well combined.
- Cook uncovered for 10-12 minutes or till the mixture thickens.
- Remove from pan and add zest of 1 orange. Let the chutney cool completely before serving.
- In a bowl mix together mashed potatoes, chopped spinach, chopped carrot, parmesan cheese, flour, cayenne pepper, dried oregan0, salt and pepper.
- Mix till it all comes together as a dough.
- Make 8 equal sized cakes from the dough. I used an ice cream scoop to make equal sized cakes. Place panko bread crumbs on a plate and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat. Once oil is hot, roll the cakes into Panko bread crumbs and then put them in to the hot oil.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, or till nicely golden brown in color.
- Remove from pan and drain on a kitchen towel.
- Arrange the potato cakes on your serving plate/tray. Place around 1 teaspoon of cranberry orange chutney on top of each cake. Serve immediately.