The addition of oats gives these hearty waffles a burst of flavor and fiber and the pop of red pomegranate seeds makes for a festive breakfast.
By Kelsey Hilts
- 1¾ cups flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp sugar
- 1 Cup instant oats (using a flavored variety adds a new dimension, pomegranate flavor was used to make these)
- 2 eggs
- 1¼ cup milk
- ⅓ cup oil
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds + extra for top of waffle prior to cooking + garnish
- Mix the dry ingredients.
- Beat in the milk, oil and eggs.
- Stir in the pomegranate seeds.
- Pour roughly 1 cup batter onto a lightly greased waffle iron that has been heated according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Sprinkle the top of the batter with another 1 Tbsp pomegranate seeds before closing the lid and cooking the waffle (optional).
- Garnish the cooked waffle with pomegranate seeds and serve with maple syrup.
Kelsey Hilts is the founder of Itsy Bitsy Foodies, an online resource for families looking for ways to spend more time together enjoying food and exploring the world beyond the children’s menu.