A delicate olive oil is the essential ingredient for a pastry naturally sweetened with malt and enriched by the scent of Sicilian blood orange juice.
In Southern Italy, the extra virgin olive oil is a sacred ingredient. Also used as a beauty treatment for the body and hair in the organic cosmetics, extra virgin olive oil is perfect for sweet dishes. It is not surprising how luscious this basic olive oil cookie recipe is. These cookies are simply delicious, light and ideal for breakfast.
A delicate extra virgin olive oil is the essential ingredient for a pastry naturally sweetened with malt and enriched by the scent of Sicilian blood orange juice.
- 170 g 6 oz/1 cup Kamut flour
- the juice of an organic orange
- 4 tablespoon rice or barley malt
- 80 ml 2 ½ fl oz mild extra virgin olive oil
- Mix the flour with the orange juice.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Roll out the dough and create the desired shapes.
- Bake, in preheated oven, at 180° C (350° F/ gas 4) for 15 minutes.
Veronica is a born and raised Italian. She inherited her love for travel, passion for cooking and natural, sustainable, healthy slow food from her parents. Her works have appeared in 'Vegetarian Living', 'Veggie Magazine', 'Lifestyle food', 'Australian Good Food & Travel Guide', 'Chickpea' and 'Free from Heaven', among others. She is the author of "Panini: the simple tastes of Italian style bread"; 'The Rustic Italian bakery", "The Vegetarian Italian Kitchen" and "A Modern Italian table", published by New Holland Publishers Australia.