Also known as nice cream, create an easy cold dessert with mocha and frozen bananas, no churning needed.
As per usual, I’m late to the “trendy new toys” game and had never tried a Vitamix, but holy moly did this thing revolutionize my smoothies. So I put it to the “nice” cream test. Nice cream is essentially frozen, blended bananas with whatever flavor makers you desire/have on hand. But the key to good nice cream is in the blender. You need something strong enough to cut through the frozen bananas that will also aerate the mixture into light, fluffy decadence. So while our little handheld immersion blender up in Holland just won’t do the trick, a heavy duty food processor or blender, like the ancient Vitamix I discovered at my parents’ house, certainly will!
This dessert is a chocolatey, coffee-y (?) and decadent, and perfect for a snack as it is loaded with bananas.
Mocha Banana Ice CreamSarah Bond
- 4 cups 470 g chopped bananas, frozen*
- 1 tsp 2.5 g instant espresso or coffee powder
- 2 Tbsp 15 g unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup 50 g chocolate chips (or vegan substitute)
- In a heavy duty blender or food processor, blend frozen bananas until smooth and creamy. If necessary, allow bananas to thaw for 5 minutes before blending.
- Add coffee and cocoa powder and blend until evenly mixed.
- Stir in chocolate chips. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the freezer.
An Alaskan self-taught cook and nutritionist by trade, I love all things food and health. When I'm not exploring new ways to cook up healthy ingredients, I'm romping around the Netherlands, my new stomping grounds!