A flavorful Mexican chicken noodle soup with avocado, lime, and cilantro is a perfect cure to cold season and can be made vegetarian by substituting with chickpeas.
By Sylvia Fountaine
Here’s a quick and flavorful pot of soup that will warm you to your bones and get you through cold and flu season – Mexican Chicken Noodle Soup with cilantro, avocado and lime. It can be easily made vegetarian by substituting chickpeas for the chicken, which, seriously is just as good, if not better. The flavorful broth is healing and delicious ….and the best thing about this is, it’s truly a one pot meal that can be made in 30 minutes flat! Dish it up tonight and serve it with avocado slices, jalapeño, scallions, cilantro and lime wedges. Give it a try, I think you will like it.
- 1-2 T oil
- 1 onion- diced
- 4 garlic cloves- rough chopped
- 1 - 1¼ lbs chicken breast diced into cubes ( or two cans chickpeas, drained)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili power
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp dried Mexican oregano ( or a couple bayleaves)
- ⅛ - ¼ tsp chipotle powder or cayenne, or to taste
- 1 tomato- diced
- 1 small can diced green chilies ( optional)
- 4 Cups chicken stock
- 4 cups water
- 4 ounces dry linguini noodles ( or pasta, or gluten free or rice noodles)
- Juice of one lime
- Garnish with avocado slices, fresh cilantro, scallions and lime
- In a large heavy bottom pot or dutch oven, saute onion in 1-2 T olive oil over med-high heat for two minutes.
- Add chicken and garlic. Sauté 5-6 minutes until it begins to brown, stirring often.
- Add salt and spices, oregano and cook 1 more minute. Add tomato, chilies, stock and water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat.
- Once boiling, add pasta, resisting the temptation to add more( it will swell). Bring to a boil once more, turn heat to medium, and simmer ten minutes or until pasta is done cooking.
- Squeeze the lime, taste, adjust salt if necessary.
- Place in bowls and top with sliced avocado and fresh cilantro and scallions and serve with a wedge of lime.
Caterer and chef of Feast Catering Co., my blog Feasting at Home is where I share wholesome, seasonal recipes we cook at home.