Methi Matar Malai is a rich dish made from freshly chopped fenugreek leaves (methi leaves) , green peas, cream and indian spices.
By Anita Mokashi
- 2 cups chopped fenugreek (methi) leaves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 cup green peas
- ½ cup cream
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- salt to taste
- To be ground into a paste
- 4 green chillies
- 2 tbsp cashewnuts (kaju)
- 2 tsp poppy seeds (khus-khus)
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- Make a paste out of green chillies,cashewnuts,poppy seeds and ginger garlic paste by adding some water.
- Wash the methi leaves, chop them and add salt. Keep them aside.
- In a pan heat oil.
- Add cumin seeds and onions. Sauté onions till translucent.
- Make puree of tomatoes and add to the onions. Let it cook for 5 mins.
- Add the poppy seeds & cashewnuts paste.
- Mix well and add garam masala and salt powder.
- Now add fenugreek leaves and green peas.
- Mix everything well.
- Finally add cream and let it cook for 10 mins.
- Methi Matar Malai is ready to be served with hot rotis.
Anita Mokashi is based in California, but born and brought up in Mumbai, India. Her blog Crave Cook Click is mostly about Indian cooking, but occasionally she shares recipes from other cultures and cuisines too. Anita is also the publisher of a popular photography blog.