A traditional dish shared throughout Mediterranean countries, potatoes in tomato sauce is a quick and delicious dish to be served alongside any meat or fish.
Potatoes in Tomato Sauce are made all over Mediterranean area, from Spain to Italy and Greece. It is a simple but delicious side dish that you can prepare in 30 minutes on your stovetop (no need to turn on the oven and only one pot to clean). When all the liquid cooks up, you are left with soft potatoes in thick and aromatic tomato sauce.
You can serve this dish with meat or fish. I like to sprinkle some feta cheese on top of potatoes.
Use herbs of your choice: basil, parsley and/or oregano. Some pepperoncini (or chili) peppers can be added for an extra kick.
- 2 lb potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoons dry oregano (or basil or parsley)
- salt, pepper
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- Fry onions in olive oil until soft.
- Add garlic, potatoes, tomato sauce and enough water to cover the potatoes.
- Season with oregano, salt and pepper.
- Cook for about ½ hour or until potatoes are cooked through, stirring from time to time.
- Serve immediately.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for the next day.