Fresh dill compliments the creamy potatoes in this soup and a splash of wine and a pinch of nutmeg give the soup additional layers of flavor. The best part is that after only 30 minutes of simmering, a cozy and deeply flavorful soup appears.
By Jill Nammar
This is magic soup because with minimal effort you get a big reward. Everything gets put in a soup pot with some water. Voila, after about 30 minutes of simmering, a cozy and deeply flavorful soup appears.
Fresh dill compliments the creamy potatoes. A splash of wine and a pinch of nutmeg give the soup additional layers of flavor.
- 4 large leeks, white and pale green parts, rinsed well and chopped
- 4 large baking potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 10 cups of water
- 8 Rapunzel No Salt Vegetable Bouillon Cubes (see notes)
- 2½ teaspoons of kosher salt
- ⅓ cup of dry white wine (optional)
- ¼-1/3 cup of half and half or heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons potato starch mixed with two tablespoons of cold water to thicken the soup
- A little grated fresh nutmeg (optional but good)
- A handful of chopped fresh dill
- Couple of grinds of black pepper
- Place the chopped leeks and potatoes in 10 cups of cold water with the salt and the bouillon cubes. Bring to a simmer, partially covered, for about ten minutes. Add the white wine.
- Bring back to a simmer, partially covered. Cook for another 20 minutes or until the potatoes are soft and the leeks are tender. Stir in the potato starch and water mixture.
- Turn off the heat.
- Stir in the half and half, chopped dill, grated nutmeg and a couple of grinds of black pepper.
Jill has been cooking and serving meals for most of her life. As she was growing up, he parents owned a restaurant and an ice cream parlor where she became immersed in food. The kitchen is truly her comfort zone. Jill's recipes are influenced by France, the Mediterranean and Morocco, and often the bright flavors of Southeast Asian cuisine, too. She cooks to inspire others to whip up flavorful food in their own kitchens. Each recipe has a notes section with helpful tips, techniques and secret ingredients to follow. Taste and see how easy it is to create delicious meals.