Repurpose leftover lentils and spare veggies in this super simple and quick recipe.
By Shuchi Mittal
- 2 cups leftover lentils (any kind will do, I used a mixture of red lentils & black eyed peas, but you can use yellow, green or even leftovers from your Indian takeout!)
- ¾ cup whole-wheat flour (atta)
- ½ cup mixed grated veggies like carrots, zucchini, cabbage and peppers
- Olive oil for pan frying
- Mash the lentils with a spoon and then mix all the ingredients (except the oil) to make a smooth thick pancake-like batter. Adjust salt if required. If the batter is too thick/dry, add some water to get the right consistency.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan and spoon dollops of the mixture onto the pan. Flatten slightly and cook till brown and crisp on both sides. Serve hot with yogurt, tomato chutney or pickle.
Shuchi cooks with the heart of a poet. Banker turned chef, she runs the 29. Private Kitchen in NYC focusing on social tasting events, dining experiences and small-scale private events. Using simple & wholesome ingredients, she likes to re-invent homemade Indian flavors into modern tapas & small plates. Her dream? To cook, feed, write, and eventually open her own communal dining cafe - with a published recipe book on the stands.