Citrus and almonds is a very popular pairing, elevated by the inclusion of ricotta. Lemon Ricotta Cake is proof of this delicious matchup.
Citrus and almonds are one of my favourite baking combinations. Add ricotta to the mix and I am sold. I just love the more substantial cake you get when baking with almond meal.
I have been wanting to make this recipe for quite some time. I was also intrigued with the method of making a meringue of the egg whites before adding it to the mixture so needed to try it out.
- 120 g 4.2 ounces butter, softened
- 200 g 7 ounces caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup lemon zest
- 4 eggs separated
- 240 g 8.5 ounces almond meal
- 300 g 10.6 ounces ricotta
- flaked almonds for decoration
- icing sugar for serving
- Heat oven to 180 degrees C (356 degrees F) and line the base and sides of a 20cm (8 inch) round cake tin with baking paper.
- Place 100g (3.5 ounces) of the castor sugar and the lemon zest in a food processor and blitz until finely ground. Then beat the butter, vanilla and sugar/zest mix together for about 10 minutes until pale and creamy.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time, beating the mixture well after each egg yolk is added.
- Add the almond meal and beat to combine and then fold the ricotta through the almond mixture.
- Beat the egg whites in a clean bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining sugar to the egg whites and whisk until stiff peaks have formed. Mix a third of the egg whites into the cake mixture, then gently fold in the rest of the egg white mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin, smooth the top and sprinkle with the almond flakes.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until cooked and firm to the touch.
- Allow to cool completely in the cake tin before removing.
- Dust with icing sugar to serve.
Hein is a Gourmet Hunter and Food Writer and Photographer in the beautiful city of Cape Town, South Africa. He has always loved food and photography is a relative new hobby. He uses his blog heinstirred.com to combine his love for photography with his other love, eating. He has fully embraced the food media world with his styling, photography and words being seen on various digital and traditional platforms.