This is good for you, because key lime has vitamin C, right? Well, that is the argument and we’re sticking to it.
Key lime pie has always been one of my favorite desserts. It’s sweet, tart flavor is just plain delicious and absolutely refreshing! I figured pie for breakfast would be pushing it, so why not turn it into a donut?
This is one flavor-filled donut guys. It’s loaded with lots of lime flavor…lime zest, key lime juice, and a fabulously tangy key lime glaze. I couldn’t resist sprinkling a few graham cracker crumbs on top too, to finish them off. And what’s even better is these beauties are baked, not fried, so we can have more than one and not feel guilty at all! Yay!
Hope you all enjoy your week and hope these Key Lime Pie Donuts bring a little sunshine to your day!
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. lime zest
- 2 tsp. key lime juice
- graham crackers crushed, for sprinkling
- Key Lime Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar sifted
- 1 Tbsp. key lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. milk
- One or two drops of green food coloring optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray donut pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl mix together egg, brown sugar, buttermilk, vegetable oil, lime zest and key lime juice. Add to dry ingredients and mix just until moistened.
- Spoon batter into prepared donut pan.
- Bake 9 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan.
- For glaze: In medium bowl whisk powdered sugar, key lime juice, milk and food coloring until smooth. Add more milk, if needed, to get to desired consistency. Invert donut to glaze, letting excess drip off. Place on wire rack and top with graham cracker crumbs. Serve.
Hello, my name is Mary Ann Dwyer and I am the blogger behind The Beach House Kitchen. I grew up my entire life lucky enough to spend summers at the Jersey Shore. I entertain from Memorial Day to Labor Day and love every minute of it. My fondest memories are from times spent there enjoying meals with family and friends and this blog is my way of sharing it with you.