A quick way to froth milk and create a coffee shop-like cup of caffeine right at home.
By Shuchi Mittal
I love a good latte. I love it even more because of my inability to create it at home. Of course, I could buy an espresso machine, a milk frother and take a Barista course, but I am lazy. Not to mention jobless- so that would be quite a pocket cleaning adventure.
After trying for years to froth milk at home, I chanced upon a winner method using a French press. Easy as A and ready in minutes, it came close to creating my perfect smooth cuppa.
- ½ cup milk
- 1 shot of espresso or ⅓ cup instant coffee in hot water
- Sugar to taste
- Heat the milk for 45 seconds
- Pour it in a french press and work the press with smooth up and down pumping movements till the milk is double its volume. Keep aside
- Prepare your espresso, or if you don't own a machine like me, mix ¾ teaspoon of your favorite instant coffee in boiling water. Add sugar if required.
- Tilt the cup and pour the frothed milk slowly from the side to an inch below the brim
- Top with the milk froth and dust with coffee or chocolate powder
- Give yourself a pat on the back and enjoy!
Shuchi cooks with the heart of a poet. Banker turned chef, she runs the 29. Private Kitchen in NYC focusing on social tasting events, dining experiences and small-scale private events. Using simple & wholesome ingredients, she likes to re-invent homemade Indian flavors into modern tapas & small plates. Her dream? To cook, feed, write, and eventually open her own communal dining cafe - with a published recipe book on the stands.