The homemade version of broth always beats the store bought kind both in flavor and nutrition.
By Lail Hossain
- 2 lb dark chicken meat or 2 lb beef with bones
- 1 large onion, coarsely sliced
- 1 celery rib, coarsely sliced
- 1 large carrot, coarsely sliced
- 1 medium garlic
- 1 small ginger, 2 inches, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 15-20 peppercorns
- 2 quarts water
- Salt, to taste
- Place all ingredients in a stockpot or pressure cooker. Cook on high heat until bubbles break through surface.
- Reduce heat to medium. Cover and simmer for approximately 2 hours.
- Add water to ensure vegetables and chicken/beef are submerged.
- Strain broth through a strainer.
Lail Hossain finds cooking to be an explosion of creativity. She is enthusiastic about modifying a laborious step of an old recipe, and experimenting with different ethnic recipes by adding her own spin to it yet keeping the recipes simple, healthy, and delicious. Originally from Bangladesh, Lail shares her journey of food, creativity and family in her blog "With A Spin". She is also very passionate about highlighting Bangladeshi cooking to the international culinary space.