Toasting the oats and the shredded coconut creates a deeper, richer flavor for this healthified dessert.
By Kelly Morisson
- ¼ cup chickpea flour or white whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons erythritol or sugar
- pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup erythritol, divided
- 1 large banana, mashed
- 2 eggs or 1 tablespoon Ener-g egg replacer mixed with 4 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease or spray an 8-inch pie pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the chickpea flour or white whole wheat flour, 2 tablespoons erythritol or sugar, pinch salt, applesauce, and ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract. Add in the almond milk one tablespoon at a time until completely incorporated and there are no lumps remaining. No one wants lumpy crust! Spread the mixture into the prepared pie pan and bake in the oven at 350°F for about 12 minutes, or until firm. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, add the oats to a large skillet. Toast the oats over medium heat, stirring often as they burn easily, until golden, about 3-5 minutes. Transfer the oats to a large mixing bowl and set aside. Now add the coconut to a large skillet. Toast the coconut over medium heat, stirring often as it burns even more easily than the oats do, until golden, about 3 minutes. Transfer the coconut to the bowl with the oats.
- Add the erythritol to the skillet, and cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until the erythritol is completely melted and the mixture is a light golden color, about 3 minutes. Transfer the mixture the mixing bowl with the oats and the coconut. (You're done with the skillet now!)
- Add the mashed banana, eggs or egg replacer, vanilla and salt to the mixing bowl and stir until completely combined and uniform. You may add 1 tablespoon of your milk of choice if the mixture seems too dry. Spread the mixture onto the baked pie crust and smooth out the top with a spoon. Bake in the oven at 350°F for about 45 minutes, or until firm and slightly golden. Let cool a bit before cutting into slices. Devour.
At the age of thirteen, Kelly Morrison founded Foodie Fiasco, a popular healthy recipe website that provides the ultimate guide to having it all: happiness, decadence, and loose pants. Five years later, she currently resides in West Hollywood, CA, where she spends her days developing recipes, photographing food and her cats, and writing bios in the third person.