A wonderful summer side made up of sweet, tender carrots grilled to perfection topped with charred queso fresco and fresh parsley.
By Carolyng Gomes
With all the fresh produce flooding the supermarkets you can virtually grill anything! From lemons and grapefruits to potatoes, asparagus, eggplants and more, grilling is simple and gives everything an unmistakably smokey delicious taste. Out of all of the scrumptious stuff out there, every think of grilling carrots? It’s time to not only think about it but enjoy it!
Grilled Carrots with Queso Fresco is as simple as it sounds. Why grill carrots you ask? Why not! Again this recipe can be attributed to my co-op box sending me an array of orange, white and purple carrots. Any other time I would have eaten them raw like a little bunny – sharing them with my puppy bunny Napo, sliced them into ribbons and added them to a salad or steamed them and drizzled them in olive oil for a classic side dish. But, my grill pan was out when I pulled those delightfully bright carrots out of my box, tops and all, and I put 2 and 2 together. Grilled carrots people, seriously!
Now, all I did was par-boil these puppies, brush them with olive oil and set them on the grill. These carrots would be great for a warm salad with roasted golden beats perhaps… hmmm I need to make that!… grilled with asparagus for a sweet side or enjoyed with, you guessed it, queso fresco for a sweet and salty side dish.
No matter what you do with your grilled carrots, grilled carrot pancakes perhaps?, you won’t get enough of that charred, smokey flavor that trusty grill lends to them. Enjoy them alone, with friends, and as much as possible! Healthy and delicious, that’s what I’m talking about!
- 1 lb carrots, scrubbed and washed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp black pepper, fresh cracked
- 3 oz queso fresco
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- Fill a pot half way with water and 1 tsp salt and bring to a boil on medium-high heat.
- Add carrots and cook until just softened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Place carrots in ice bath for 2 minutes.
- Remove carrots from ice bath and pat dry.
- Brush carrots with olive oil and sprinkle with pepper.
- Preheat grill pan on medium-high heat.
- Place carrots on grill pan for 3-4 minutes per side until char marks appear.
- Place queso fresco slices on grill pan for 30 seconds per side.
- Rough chop queso fresco and combine with parsley.
- Plate carrots and top with queso fresco and parsley mixture.