If you are looking to turn traditional waffles into a grain free paleo treat, this recipe made with coconut flour is for you.
If you are looking to turn traditional waffles into a grain free paleo treat, this recipe made with coconut flour is for you!
I created this one on a hot Sunday morning in Laguna Beach, when I was setting up a quick home made brunch that was healthier that the waffles you get when you eat out in a restaurant.
I feel like making your own food is always the best option to maintain your healthy eating habit, so most of the time I prefer to eat at home and only grab a drink when I am out.
These paleo waffles are a winner: they are free from grains, dairy and eggs and they have a delicious flavor given by the naturally sweet flavor of the coconut flour and the tigernut protein mix.
You can find the tigernut protein mix I used at this link , but regular tigernut flour will work great as well for this paleo waffle recipe. Its nutty taste, combined with the delicious hint of coconut flour, allows you to keep the amount of maple syrup on the low end.
Here’s your recipe. It’s quick, easy and a great relief for those that are trying to eat grain free and don’t want to give up a nice waffle brunch!
Grain Free Waffles Recipe (makes 2 large waffles)Print
- Author: Ambra Torelli
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Sugar Free Desserts
- Cuisine: Italian food
For the Grain Free Waffles:
- 30 gr Cassava Flour
- 15 gr Arrowroot Flour
- 15 gr Coconut Flour
- 20 gr Tigernut Protein Mix (SEE LINK ABOVE)
- 100 gr Banana (1 small banana)
- 120 gr Coconut Milk
- 20 gr Water
- 50 gr Orange Juice (juice of 1/2 orange)
- 25 gr Maple Syrup
- 3 gr 1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 20 gr Apple Cider Vinegar
For the Toppings:
- 1/2 Papaya
- 2 dried Figs
- 2 tbsp shredded Coconut Flakes
- 10 gr shaved 100% Dark Chocolate
- Turn on your Waffle machine.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Combine banana, coconut milk, orange juice and water in a blender and process until you get a smooth liquid.
- Pour the liquid over the flour mix, add in the maple syrup and mix well.
- Lastly, add in the baking soda and the apple cider vinegar and mix well.
- Pour half the batter in the waffle machine and when you first grain free waffle is ready, cook the second one with the remaining batter.
- Top each waffle with some diced papaya, dried figs, shredded coconut and shaved dark chocolate and enjoy!!
So, how do you like them? I feel like the rich, buttery taste of the papaya makes for a perfect topping for these paleo waffles! And can you taste the sweet touch of coconut flour?!? I love it!
As always, let me have your feedback either by comment, email or on my social media ! And if you are looking for more gluten free desserts, check to my Ebook “Healthy Italian Desserts Made Simple” that features over 75 recipe and a complete Sugar Detox Guide!!
Un bacione and I will catch you next time!!
Born and raised in Italy, Ambra is a healthy recipe developer, food and travel writer with a passion for healthy living and wellness. She is the founder of 'Little Bites of Beauty" and the author of the cookbooks "Healthy Italian Desserts Made Simple" and "The AIP Italian Cookbook". She shares her daily food & travel adventures on her Instagram @LittleBitesofBeauty