The sweeter and arguably more sophisticated cousin of the carrot into a cake, turned gluten free.
By Sarah Platanitis
- 3 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour, such as Domata Gluten-Free Recipe Ready Flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups parsnips, grated
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup flaked coconut
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup 10x sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 15-cup capacity Bundt pan.
- Whisk dry ingredients together in a large bowl until well-blended. Beat eggs, applesauce and vanilla in a separate large bowl until smooth and fold in the flour mixture.
- Add parsnip, raisins, coconut and walnuts and mix well.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting.
- Dust with 10x sugar before serving.
Sarah grew up a “restaurant kid” and spent most of her childhood pretending to be Julia Child. Her blog (sarahinthekitchen.com) is a place for kitchen musings and her food writing, photography and illustrations.