The quintessential comfort food gets a gluten-allergy sensitive update.
By Sarah Platanitis
- 1 lb gluten-free pasta
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup gluten free flour
- ¼ tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups grated cheese, such as Jarlsberg, a part-skim milk Swiss-style cheese
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Mix together dry ingredients and whisk into to the melted butter. Continue to whisk while slurry cooks for about 2 minutes.
- Remove from burner and add milk all at once. Whisk until smooth.
- Back on the burner, let the slurry thicken and come to a boil.
- Add cheese by the handful and whisk until melted and sauce is smooth.
- Add to cooked pasta.
Sarah grew up a “restaurant kid” and spent most of her childhood pretending to be Julia Child. Her blog (sarahinthekitchen.com) is a place for kitchen musings and her food writing, photography and illustrations.