Gluten free pastry dough is not commonly found in the grocery store aisles, but this homemade version made into gluten free chocolate hazelnut twists will make your tastebuds dance.
There are times, I think about sweets (mostly desserts) pretty much every day. Sometimes, there is an idea stuck in my head and I’m trying to execute it, most of the times successfully. My biggest challenge as a celiac patient is to replicate or mimic puff pastry. I’m pretty close, though! I think many of you can relate.I’ve seen them so many of them on Pinterest, yet I’ve never made them, not because I didn’t, but I couldn’t.
This time, I wanted to make Nutella twists. Many people use puff pastry, smothered with Nutella and sprinkled with hazelnuts. Can you only imagine how delicious that might be? I’ve seen them on Pinterest, yet I’ve never made them. Until now! I substitute puff pastry for my cinnamon roll dough and the results were stunning!
Soft gluten-free twists filled with chocolate hazelnut spread and sprinkled some toasted hazelnuts. It’s impossible to eat only one!
- 1 batch cinnamon roll dough
- ½ cup hazelnut spread
- ½ cup finely chopped hazelnuts
- Prepare dough according to instructions. After beating the dough put the dough in the fridge for 20 to 30 minutes so it can harden a little bit.
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- On a floured surface roll the dough into a 13×7 inch rectangle. Spread hazelnut spread evenly over half of dough to within ¼ inch of sides; sprinkle with hazelnuts.
- Fold over the dough and press firmly to seal the edges. Cut into 8 (13-inch) strips. Twist each strip and place it on the baking sheet.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from sheet to cooling rack. Cool 5 minutes.