This stunning vegetarian dish is a deconstructed spin on the flavors of pesto – surprisingly simple for how fancy it looks.
By Carly DeFilippo
- 8-10 garlic scapes
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe
- ⅚ anchovies
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
- olive oil
- grated cheese (optional)
- lemon (optional)
- Wash garlic scapes and cut them in half. Using a vegetable peeler, shred the scapes into long ribbons.
- Wash broccoli rabe and cut into small pieces. (Only use the parts of the stalk that have leaves/florets).
- Heat olive oil in a large pan or wok. Add anchovies to pan.
- When oil is hot, add broccoli rabe and garlic scapes. Stir periodically.
- After about a minute, toss in the chopped walnuts.
- Cook until greens are tender, but the scapes should still be al dente.
- Remove from heat, dress with grated parmesan and lemon juice to taste.
Carly is a Contributing Writer at Honest Cooking. Though the first line of her college application essay was "I love tunafish," it wasn't until she pursued graduate studies in Paris that she ever considered a future in food. Based in Manhattan, Carly is a freelance writer and the co-founder of Cognoscenti Creative, a boutique branding agency dedicated to establishing artisans as influencers.