PARTNER POST: The versatile potato is perfect in a multitude of recipes showcasing flavors from around the globe. Get creative with your spuds.
This simple romesco sauce can be whipped up in minutes while the fingerling potatoes are roasting. Enjoy as a hearty side dish topped with hazelnuts and fresh herbs on a cool fall day.
As the weather cools, the way we cook begins to shift. Gradually we move from outdoor grills to indoors where the oven becomes the hub of our cooking. There is something so comforting and cozy about turning the oven on, isn’t there? Whether it’s baking, roasting, braising, it feels so homey and nurturing.
In this recipe for roasted Romesco Potatoes, fingerlings are simply sliced in half, tossed with olive oil, salt and pepper and roasted in the oven until tender, about 30 minutes. While roasting, the quick and easy 5 minute Romesco Sauce is whipped up in the food processor – made with simple, pantry ingredients you probably already have on hand. So easy.
When fall arrives, we find our appetites begin to increase almost proportionally to the cold. Storing up for winter perhaps! One thing I find myself craving are potatoes. I love their heartiness and versatility, and most of all I love them roasted.
Roasting fingerling potatoes coaxes out their nutty, earthy flavor while enhancing their subtle sweetness. Because they are small, they roast quickly, especially when sliced in half lengthwise.
They get nice and crispy on the outside and have a delicious buttery interior.
While they are roasting, the quick Romesco Sauce can be whipped up in literally 5 minutes.
Here I’ve used hazelnuts- but other nuts work well too, especially almonds.
Romesco Sauce if unfamiliar, hails from Catalonia, an area in Northern Spain. There are many versions, but most contain red peppers, tomatoes and nuts. It can be made spicy or kept mild. Traditionally it’s served with meat, chicken, fish or roasted vegetables. It can be swirled into soup for a burst of favor, or even tossed with pasta. Think of this as a roasted red pepper pesto of sorts – a good one to have in your back pocket.
- 1 ½ pounds fingerling potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- generous pinch salt and cracked pepper
- ½ cup toasted hazelnuts
- 1 roasted red bell pepper (from a jar or can)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon red wine vinegar (or sherry vinegar)
- ½ teaspoon salt ( more to taste)
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ⅛-¼ teaspoon chipotle powder, more to taste
- Fresh herbs for garnish- thyme or Italian Parsley
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Slice potatoes in half lengthwise.
- Toss potatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper in a bowl .
- Place on a parchment lined sheet pan and roast in the hot oven 30 minutes or until fork tender and golden.
- Place all romesco ingredients in a food processor. Pulse until well combined, but not too smooth.
- Taste and adjust salt and spiciness.
- When potatoes are done, toss a few tablespoons of romesco sauce with the warm potatoes and plae in a serving dish.
- Garnish with fresh herbs
- Save remaining romesco sauce in a jar and cover with a layer of oilive oil. Cover and store in the fridge for another use.