PARTNER POST – Get creative with any of Castello’s uniquely crafted cheeses. Click here for a $1 off coupon to create your own gourmet masterpiece.
Perfect in miniature form as hors d’oeuvres , the sweetness of the corn combined with creamy cheese, savory dill, and dollop of tangy creme fraiche will have you and your guests reaching for more.
By Kimberly Killebrew
If you enjoy traditional cornbread or corn cakes these are a “must try.” The combination of a high class European cheese with all the goodness of down-to-earth, traditional home-style Southern cooking makes these Havarti Dill Corn Cakes the perfect hors d’oeuvres for either a casual or formal entertainment setting.
And they’re just downright yummy and fun to make!
I love cheese. Prepared every which way. I’ve now tried four different kinds of cheese from Castello and their products “wow” me every time. I’m fully committed to trying every one of their cheeses. They’re that good.
Today we’re using their Creamy Havarti. It has a delicious buttery aroma with just the right hint of sweetness and touch of tanginess. It’s creamy texture lends itself perfectly for melting, especially when shredded.
All of these qualities made it the perfect candidate for these corn cakes.
The sweetness of the corn combined with the creamy cheese, savory dill, and dollop of tangy creme fraiche will have you and your guests reaching for more.
- 1 cup fine or medium ground cornmeal
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup corn kernels, coarsely chopped in a food processor
- 1 cup shredded Havarti cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- Creme fraiche (or sour cream) for serving
- Sprigs of fresh dill for garnish
- Combine the cornmeal, flour, baking soda, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Add the buttermilk, eggs and butter and beat just until combined. Stir in the corn, cheese, dill, and green onions.
- Heat a griddle to medium-high heat and lightly spray with cooking oil.
- Scoop heaping tablespoons onto the griddle (1/4 cup for full-sized corn cakes) and cook on each side until golden brown.
- If serving as hors d'oeuvres, arrange the mini corn cakes on a serving platter with a dollop of creme fraiche and a sprig of fresh dill.
Get creative with any of Castello’s uniquely crafted cheeses. Click here for a $1 off coupon to create your own gourmet masterpiece.
Raised in Western Europe, widely traveled, and currently residing near Seattle with her husband and children, Kimberly loves preparing and experimenting with a large range of flavors and cuisines. This is reflected in her food blog, The Daring Gourmet, where she invites all to “tour the world through your taste buds.” Passionate cook, recipe developer and photo enthusiast, her culinary repertoire includes everything from gourmet to simple comfort food, and, as she puts it, “simply downright good eats.”