PARTNER POST – Get creative with any of Castello’s uniquely crafted cheeses. Click here for a $1 off coupon to create your own gourmet masterpiece.
Warm, creamy havarti cheese is baked and served with candied pecans and caramel. Grab some tart apple slices and start dipping.
By Danelle MC
When it comes to using cheese in desserts, my mind usually goes straight to varieties like cream cheese or mascarpone. But when it comes to incorporating cheese into your desserts it pays to think outside the box, because you might come up with something amazing, like Caramel Havarti with Candied Pecans. Served with some tart apple wedges, it’s the kind of dessert your friends and family will be talking about long after it’s gone.
I used Castello Creamy Havarti cheese in this recipe. It has a soft, creamy texture and mild flavor, which made it a perfect vehicle for the caramel sauce and candied pecans. Plus, it melts beautifully, which makes for a great presentation. Castello Creamy Havarti is also a great addition to a cheese board, since it’s easy to slice and goes well with fresh bread or fruit. And it makes for an amazing grilled cheese sandwich!
I highly recommend serving this dish with Granny Smith apples, but any tart variety will work. I divided the recipe between two small cast iron skillets, but feel free to use a single baking dish. In addition to the fabulous combination of flavors, this dessert is incredibly easy to prepare. I love it when food is simple, but looks and tastes fancy!
The candied pecans take about 30 minutes to make, but they’re not difficult, and so worth it! You’ll have some extra candied pecans, because it’s hard to make a smaller batch than what the recipe calls for, but trust me, you won’t mind the leftovers. Save them for topping ice cream, or do what I do…..just eat them!
- 1 tablespoon egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1½ cups pecan halves
- 8 ounces Castello Creamy Havarti cheese
- ⅓ cup candied pecans, chopped
- ¼ to ⅓ cup prepared caramel sauce, warmed slightly
- Granny Smith apples, for serving
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- To make the candied pecans, combine the egg white and water in a medium bowl. Whisk vigorously until frothy. Stir in vanilla.
- Add sugars, cinnamon and salt and mix well. Stir in pecans and toss to coat evenly.
- Spread pecan mixture in an even layer on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly. The egg mixture will look frothy and soupy when you remove it from the oven.
- Cool completely. Break the pecans apart and set aside.
- Turn oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a small baking dish.
- Cut the Havarti cheese in half to form two smaller blocks of cheese (this will allow for more quick, even melting). Place the cheese in the prepared dish and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until cheese is almost completely melted.
- Meanwhile, chop ⅓ cup of the candied pecans.
- Remove the cheese from the oven and drizzle with warm caramel sauce. Sprinkle with candied pecans.
- Serve immediately with tart apple wedges.
Danelle combines her love of cooking and photography at her food blog, Let's Dish. A friend once described her culinary creations as “uptown foodie meets real life,” which sums up her cooking philosophy perfectly. When she's not cooking or baking , you'll often find her behind the lens of her camera photographing the beautiful Colorado outdoors, or visiting her local farmers' market. She has been sharing recipes at Let's Dish since 2009.