Go Bananas, Lose those Marbles, with this Eggless Banana Mocha Marble Cake.
By Shuchi Mittal
Eggs smell. It’s a fact. So I try to use as less of them as possible. Of course, cakes with eggs turn out delectable, but this my friends, will be a surprise to you. I made this at a party when my vegetarian friends over-numbered the non-veg ones. Moist and light, this was wiped out before I could say egg-less. And with a cup of coffee, Mmmm…
Of sweetness warm,
A treat special
From dusk to dawn.
Black and white in one,
This volcanic dessert
Has match none.”
- 2 ripe bananas
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup flour (Maida)
- ½ cup ground brown sugar (I don't like my cakes too sweet, but if you make this ¾ cup)
- 4 tbsp honey
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp instant coffee powder
- 1 tbsp baking cocoa (unsweetened)
- 1 pinch of salt
- Some chocolate chips
- Mash the bananas well. Sift the flour and baking soda and add to the bananas. Now mix in the remaining ingredients- except the coffee and cocoa and mix well. Do not overmix. The consistency will be like thick batter.
- Separate half the batter and mix the cocoa and coffee in it. Keep aside.
- Grease a baking tray and add a spoon of the plain mixture, followed by a spoon of the mocha mixture. Mix slightly so there appear ribbons of different colours but make sure you do not blend it into a homogenous mixture. Sprinkle some chocolate chips on top
- Pre-heat the oven to 190-200 degrees C. Bake the cake for 15-20 minutes, or till a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve hot with coffee! Mmmmm...