By Ashley Barton
I made a childhood fantasy a reality this week. I combined CAKE and COOKIE DOUGH into one seriously fancy cupcake. Oh, cookie dough! That most mouthwatering delicacy forbidden by moms everywhere. Pesky raw egg paranoia raining on everyone’s parade…
We’re talking chocolate cake, cookie dough center, almond and vanilla bean frosting, and a teeny cookie garnish on top. Perfection. Because we’re using Safest Choice, no worries that we’re indulging in raw cookie dough. Pasteurized = Peace of Mind! To make these crowd pleasers, use your favorite cake recipe. Once the cupcakes are baked and cooled, use a small paring knife to cut out the centers (about a quarter-sized hole) and then follow the recipes below.
- ¾ c sugar
- ¾ c brown sugar
- ½ c Earth Balance
- ¼ c coconut cream
- 1 Safest Choice Egg + 1 yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 c flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ - 1 c chocolate chips
- ½ c non-hydrogenated shortening
- ½ c Earth Balance
- 2½ - 3½ c powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- vanilla bean from ½ vanilla pod
- ¼ tsp lemon zest
- 2-3 Tb coconut milk
- In an electric mixer or using an eggbeater, cream Earth Balance and coconut cream with sugar until fluffy. Add egg + yolk and vanilla; mix thoroughly. In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just incorporated.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Measure out heaping teaspoons of the dough and roll into balls. 12 of these will fill the holes in your cupcakes (cookie dough center!), and 12 will go into the oven to be baked off as little cookies for garnish (place 2 inches apart on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees).
- With eggbeaters, cream shortening and Earth Balance until fully combined. Add powdered sugar, one cup at a time. Once you've added 2½ cups, taste the frosting for consistency.
- *You don't want an oily mouthfeel! Add more powdered sugar as needed. Then add extracts, vanilla bean, zest, and coconut milk - mix thoroughly.
- When frosting your little cakes, use a piping bag for fancy swirls. Or just spread with a knife if you'd rather get right to the eating!
- Now just add your baked and cooled little garnish cookies, and voila!