Call it a drink, call it a dessert – either way, this is the perfect Christmas treat.
By Tamara Novacoviç
Even though in Croatia we like our mulled wine for Christmas holidays, this year I’m experimenting a bit and introducing a new Christmas drink to my family: eggnog. I would call it a dessert and drink in one. I love its full flavor and creamy texture, it’s the perfect thing to warm you up and start a Christmas party.
- 2 cups (500 ml) milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1.7 oz (50 g) brown sugar
- 6 tbsp dark rum
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- a bit of nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (240 ml) whipping cream
- cocoa powder
- cinnamon stick
- Set aside a little bit of milk. Combine the rest with sugar and vanilla and heat until it boils.
- Mix the milk you have set aside with egg yolks, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add to the boiling milk and cook on low heat for 10 minutes, stirring constantly. In the end, add rum.
- Remove from heat and let cool completely. Top with whipped cream.
- Dust with cocoa powder and serve with cinnamon sticks.
Tamara Novakovic is a passionate self-taught cook, food blogger, freelance food writer and photographer behind bite-my-cake.blogspot.com. Her life journey has led her through Faculty of Humanities in Zagreb, Croatia to discovering passion for making cakes. She is currently a weekly food columnist for Croatian newspaper V magazine and food magazine Repete.