For an indulgent start to your day, try these rich chocolate waffle studded with more chocolate chips. Rather than sticking to maple syrup, get creative with your toppings.
By Dawn Myers
Try topping these crisp breakfast waffles with peanut butter, vanilla yogurt, jam, or for the chocoholics, try a chocolate hazelnut spread.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa
- ¼ cup (packed) brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk (or 2 cups milk with 1 tablespoon vinegar)
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 oz. bittersweet chocolate chips
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Combine eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla.
- Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spray the waffle iron with the oil spray and cook the waffles according to your iron’s instructions.
Wife, mother of 2 lovely children, MBA, lawyer, bureaucrat. I adore reading old cookbooks and am endlessly inspired by their simplicity, economy, and true connection with the food being prepared. My blog explores "historic" recipes and more modern recipes that embody the same ideals.