Arianna Frea comes back from the food market with a batch of fresh prawns.
By Arianna Frea
My friend Mimmo, the fishmonger at the food market, always has excellent fish. His counter is covered by all sort of sea delicacies. When I go early in the mornings, before it gets busy, I manage to chat to have a chat with Mimmo and I ask him to advise me on what to buy.
Today I decided to purchase some prawns and on my way home I was trying to come up with the best recipe to use. Going through one of my many cooking books I found the recipe for a soft batter which seemed to be the perfect match to the sweetness of the prawns.
In the end, the delicious shrimps covered in the light batter and deep fried, matched perfectly the light crunchiness of the fried rice noodles…this fried and easy to prepare dish was delicious.
- 24 fresh raw prawns
- 2 medium egg whites
- 1 tablespoons cake flour
- 7 ounces (200 gr.) rice noodles
- 1 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (flat leaves)
- black pepper
- oil for deep frying
- Wash the prawns.
- Snap the head off, peel the shell off the body (leaving part of the shell at the tail end), make a cut down the back and the stomach and remove the dark veins (intestine).
- Lightly beat egg whites with a whisk, and when they will be foamy, add the sifted flour, salt, black pepper and chopped parsley.
- Mix gently, just to combine.
- Heat the oil to 350 F (180°), dip the rice vermicelli for about 1 minute and drain well on kitchen paper.
- Dip the prawns, in batches, in batter to coat.
- Add prawns to the hot oil and deep-fry for about 2 minutes, flipping a couple of times, or until golden brown.
- Arrange prawns on the crispy noodles and serve immediately.
Arianna Frea is an italian food stylist based in Milan. She has a true passion and dedication to food and photography. She loves cooking with her husband, especially cakes and treats. Arianna is the author of the blog Cookingmesoftly.