The second serving in John Nevado’s trio of appetizing and romantic rose hors d’oeuvres.
By John Nevado
This is my second post in a ”triptych” of delicious hors d´oeuvres made with roses as the main ingredient. Marinated fresh water shrimp, rolled in a freshly harvested, crisp rose petal. Imagine to be one of those shrimps…to lie with another shrimp…rolled in a rose petal…curled up next to each other! How cozy!
- kilo (18 oz.) fresh water shrimps
- 1 tablespoon (0.5 oz.) rice vinegar
- 1 shalott, chopped
- 3 tbsp (1.5 oz.) chives, chopped
- 2 tbsp lemon (1 oz.) balm (Melissa officinalis), chopped
- 1 teaspoon (0.25 oz.) dijon mustard
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons (0.5 oz.) soy sauce
- 1 deciliter (3.5 fl. oz.) cold pressed rape seed oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- Peel the shrimps. By hand.
- Pour in the olive oil drop-by-drop.
- Add black pepper to taste
- Mount the shrimps on the rose petals.
- Fasten rose petals with a toothpick.
- Watch fingers. Toothpicks can be dangerous.