These gluten-free cookies will remind you of the flavor of the coconut caramel Girl Scout version. Sprinkle with espresso cane sugar for an added rich flavor.
By Sarah Platanitis
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar, such as Organic White Sugar In The Raw
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon coconut extract
- 1 tablespoon caramel extract
- 2 cups Gluten-Free All-Purpose flour with xanthan gum in the mix, such as Domata Gluten-Free Recipe Ready Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon espresso-flavored sugar cane
- Pre-heat oven to 350F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the softened butter in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat on medium until light and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat on medium. Add egg and extracts.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to butter mixture, beating until smooth. Let the dough rest five minutes.
- Drop by the tablespoon about 2? apart. Press down tops and sprinkle a pinch of sugar on each cookie.
- Bake one pan at a time for 14 minute, or until cookies are golden brown. Let cookies rest before transferring to a wire rack to cool. Cookies will keep five days or up to 30 days in the freezer.
Sarah grew up a “restaurant kid” and spent most of her childhood pretending to be Julia Child. Her blog (sarahinthekitchen.com) is a place for kitchen musings and her food writing, photography and illustrations.