Get cozy with this filling, nutritious meal. Acorn squash is stuffed with chorizo, black beans and onions then topped with cheese.
I’m totally in love with stuffed squash! It’s such an easy way to make a quick, healthy gluten free, low carb meal.
You guys know I love stuffed squash like this Chicken Taco Spaghetti Squash but this one is even better!
You can meal prep these ahead, wrap them up well with foil and they will last in the fridge for several days.
Chorizo-Stuffed Acorn SquashKaren Kelly
- 1 whole acorn squash cut in half
- 8 oz chorizo casings removed (gluten free)
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 whole garlic cloves chopped
- 1 can black beans rinsed
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 whole green onion chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Drizzle the inside of squash with olive oil and salt and pepper lightly. Place the squash open side down and roast for about 25-30 minutes.
- Remove the chorizo from the casings and brown in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, crumbling as you stir. Remove from pan.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to pan and add diced onion and chopped garlic. Saute for about 5-8 minutes. Add cooked sausage and black beans to pan and stir for a minute or two.
- When acorn squash is done, fill the squash with the sausage filling. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and put back in the oven for about 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Garnish with green onions and serve. This can be kept well in fridge for 2-3 days of leftovers.
I am a blogger, photographer, recipe developer and mom. With three kids keeping me busy, I am always looking for easy, healthy dishes that can be prepared quickly.