Vegan popsicles using whipped bananas and almond milk are an easy, cool treat to make. Plus, it is so easy to experiment with different toppings.
By Vicky Cohen and Ruth Fox
Last summer we introduced you to Strawberries and Cream vegan popsicles, and this year we have a new, delicious vegan treat in store for you.
Popsicles are fantastic recipes to try out in the summer. They are also a great opportunity to begin experimenting in the kitchen because there are so many ways to make them! It could be argued that it is harder to try to make a BAD blend for popsicles than it is to create something delicious! Whether you want something fruity, creamy, or chocolatey there is always a new recipe on the horizon, which means there is always something new to look forward to.
This time around our goal was to create a recipe which was all of the best parts of popsicle experimentation. We wanted something fruity, creamy, AND chocolatey in one simple recipe.
The greatest part of this recipe, outside of the flavor, is perhaps how simple it is to make. The banana portion of this popsicle is created by whipping frozen bananas and blending them with almond milk. Nothing else. The added chocolate and crushed peanuts, an alternative to the chocolate and pistachios from the Strawberries and Cream recipe, is added after the pops have frozen.
- 3 large bananas, chopped and frozen
- ½ to ⅔ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips (we use Enjoy Life)
- 1½ tbsp coconut oil
- ⅔ cup salted peanuts, chopped
- Place frozen bananas and ½ cup almond milk in a food processor. Pulse until creamy (add extra milk if necessary, if the mixture isn't creamy enough). Pour into popsicle molds (makes about 10) and freeze for at least 4 hours
- Once the popsicles are ready, melt the chocolate chips (you can do it in the microwave, at 20 second intervals, stirring often). Add the coconut oil and mix well.
- Line a tray with wax or parchment paper. Dip each popsicle in chocolate half way, and sprinkle chopped peanuts on both sides. Carefully place then on the lined tray. Freeze until ready to serve