This delicious chocolate and date slice, will surely convince any fruit hater to at least have another bite.
By Tania Cusack
Not everybody likes fruit…… No really they don’t. There are people that wouldn’t dream of crunching into an apple or putting time aside to peel an orange…. that’s a lot of commitment right there.
But this delicious chocolate and date slice, will surely convince any fruit hater to at least have another bite.
- 400gm dried dates
- 1½ cups water
- zest of 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup chocolate pieces ( 50-70%)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 185gm ( 6.5oz) diced cold butter
- ½ cup desicated coconut
- 1½ cups oats
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa
- Put the chopped dates into a pot with the water , zest and baking soda. Bring to a gentle boil. Simmer for around 15 minutes or until the water has evaporated. Take off the heat and stir in the chocolate
- Process the flour, butter and brown sugar until the mixture is combined and resembles breadcrumbs. Pour the mixture into a bowl.
- Mix in the coconut and oats. Separate this mixture into two
- To 1 mixture add the cocoa and mix well. Push this half into a paper lined brownie tin ( 7x 10 inch) . Flattening down
- Spread the chocolate/ date mixture over the base and then sprinkle over the remaining mixture ( this will look like a crumble mixture).
- Bake in 180 C ( 350 F ) oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden.
- Cool ( refrigerate) until cold then slice