This delicious chocolate and date slice, will surely convince any fruit hater to at least have another bite.
By Tania Cusack
Not everybody likes fruit…… No really they don’t. There are people that wouldn’t dream of crunching into an apple or putting time aside to peel an orange…. that’s a lot of commitment right there.
But this delicious chocolate and date slice, will surely convince any fruit hater to at least have another bite.
- 400gm dried dates
- 1½ cups water
- zest of 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup chocolate pieces ( 50-70%)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 185gm ( 6.5oz) diced cold butter
- ½ cup desicated coconut
- 1½ cups oats
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa
- Put the chopped dates into a pot with the water , zest and baking soda. Bring to a gentle boil. Simmer for around 15 minutes or until the water has evaporated. Take off the heat and stir in the chocolate
- Process the flour, butter and brown sugar until the mixture is combined and resembles breadcrumbs. Pour the mixture into a bowl.
- Mix in the coconut and oats. Separate this mixture into two
- To 1 mixture add the cocoa and mix well. Push this half into a paper lined brownie tin ( 7x 10 inch) . Flattening down
- Spread the chocolate/ date mixture over the base and then sprinkle over the remaining mixture ( this will look like a crumble mixture).
- Bake in 180 C ( 350 F ) oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden.
- Cool ( refrigerate) until cold then slice
After completing Culinary School in Sydney, Tania travelled the world working as a Chef in restaurants, doing catering and cooking on road for a travel company in Europe and the US. Once back at home, the birth of her son meant a change, and during his small years, she enjoyed jobs in wholesale food, buying Artisan food products, testing and recipe writing as sales and educational tools. Tania is now back to what she loves, working as an in house Chef for a large retailer, conducting Cooking Classes and writing recipes for her blog.