Weeknight meals don’t get much better, or even simpler, than this perfect bowl of comforting chicken enchilada soup.
This hearty and flavorful soup is packed with tender chicken, black beans, corn, and a delicious blend of aromatic spices. All simmered together in a rich tomato broth, it’s got the essence of a rich enchilada, but as a warming stew.
This recipe is easy to make and can be on the table in less than 45 minutes. It’s a great weeknight dinner option, or if you’re looking to feed a crowd, this recipe can easily be doubled or tripled. And obviously you can customize the toppings to your liking, whether you prefer it cheesy, tangy or spicy.
To make this recipe, you will need: boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced onion, minced garlic, olive oil, chicken broth, diced tomatoes, black beans, corn, salsa, ground cumin, chili powder, dried oregano, salt, pepper, and toppings of your choice such as shredded cheese, sour cream, chopped cilantro, diced avocado.
Once your soup is ready, ladle it into bowls and top it off with your favorite toppings.Print
Chicken Enchilada Soup
A super easy to make chicken enchilada soup, perfect for a quick weeknight meal and with vibrant flavors.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Appetizer, Main Course, Soup
- Cuisine: Mexican Inspired, Tex-Mex
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
- 1 can black beans, rinsed (14.5 oz)
- 1 can yellow corn, rinsed (14.5 oz)
- 1 cup salsa or red enchilada sauce
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 jalapeños, finely sliced
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the pot and cook until browned on all sides, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken broth, diced tomatoes, black beans, corn, salsa, cumin, chili powder, oregano, onion powder, cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the cream cheese and let cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the flavors have melded together.
- Remove the chicken, and gently pull it with two forks. Return to soup. Add cheddar cheese, and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro, jalapeños and avocado.
Keywords: comfort food, cooking with kids, enchilada, mexican, soup, soup, fall food, tortilla
Kalle Bergman is a food writer and media entrepreneur who is the founder of Honest Cooking and PAIR Magazine. As a food writer, his writing has been regularly featured in publications like Gourmet, Los Angeles Times, Huffington Post and Serious Eats. He is obsessed with simple food, more often than not from his native Scandinavia.