Jennifer Abbott, here with a simple and awesome butter bean hummus recipe.
By Jennifer Abbott
- 4 cups cooked butter beans, drained & liquid reserved (or 2 15-ounce cans)
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- juice of 1 to 2 lemons
- ¼ cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
- salt to taste
- sumac, paprika, or cayenne pepper, for garnish
- Drop the garlic cloves in a food processor fitted with the steel blade and process until finely minced. Add the butterbeans, lemon juice, a few tablespoons of bean liquid or water, and tahini, and process until pasty.
- With the motor running, slowly drizzle in olive oil until a creamy mixture is formed. Season with salt and additional lemon juice, if necessary.
- Sprinkle the top with sumac, paprika, or cayenne, and drizzle with a little more olive oil.
Jennifer Abbott is a writer, music teacher, Southern food enthusiast, and soup aficionado. She lives in New Orleans and blogs about cooking and dining at Food Orleans.