Marinated in yogurt and spices for a whole day, these tender tandoori drumsticks will become an instant favorite.
By ChiChi Dodoo
In this recipe, chicken drumsticks are marinated in yogurt and exotic aromatic spices for 24 hours. Then roasted in the oven, before being finished off under the grill.
I am a lover of spicy food. Being of Ghanaian heritage, a lot of the dishes I grew up eating were packed full of spices and flavour. Ginger, garlic, chillies and onions are frequent staples in most of the dishes of my motherland. I love a little heat in my food. Not fiery, over powering heat; but just a kick, you know?
Tandoori chicken is made with spices I love to cook with. The marinade is made with natural yogurt, garam masala spice mix, onions, garlic, ginger, lemon or lime, chilli powder, cumin, turmeric and paprika. Yes, the list is long, but do not be daunted by it. These ingredients are readily available in a lot of supermarkets.
Bold Tandoori DrumsticksChiChi Dodoo
- 12 chicken drumsticks
- 2 teaspoons garam masala spice
- 240 ml 1 cup natural yogurt
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger peeled and chopped
- juice from 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons tumeric
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1-2 teaspoons salt
- lime wedges
- sliced onions
- Cut two slits into each chicken drumstick. They should just reach the bone. These are to allow the marinade penetrate the meat.
- Mix all the remaining ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend to a smooth paste. Place chicken in a large mixing bowl and cover it in the paste, massaging it deep into the skin and flesh. Cover chicken with a plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to marinate for as long as possible, preferably 24 hours.
- Remove chicken drumsticks from the refrigerator an hour before cooking to bring it to room temperature. Position a rack in the center of the oven. Pre-heat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6 and heat the oven to 375ºF. Line baking sheet with foil and place a rack on tray. Wipe the rack with a paper towel in oil.
- Remove chicken from the marinade and place on the rack. Roast for 45 minutes, turning once halfway through. When fully cooked the juices will run clear. Baste drumsticks with melted butter. Turn on the grill and grill chicken for 5 minutes or until crisp all over.
- Serve drumsticks with lime wedges, onions and coriander.
Originally, from Ghana in West Africa, Chichi lives and works in London, Uk with her family. A sudden unusual love and passion for all things cake and baking introduced her to the world of blogging. ChiChi is the writer and photographer behind the blog Cakes By Chichi where she shares recipes, tutorials and photos of food she has made.