Check out these delicious meatless tacos. These black bean sweet potato tacos come together quickly and are even topped with an easy homemade salsa.
Considering how big on tacos my family is it’s pretty crazy that I haven’t made them very often recently. I’m planning to make up for it by doing tacos at least once every other week and hopefully even sharing a new version with you guys each time.
These were inspired by my brother-in-law telling me about a dinner he and my sister had eaten at a friend’s house. I think he does this because he knows nothing inspires me to get into the kitchen to make something like hearing how amazing someone else made it. Hey, it’s not competition or anything, I just have this need to try making everything possible before I kick the bucket. I guess it goes along with that always learning stuff I was just talking about.
Another reason for these tacos today is that I found street taco sized tortillas at the store this past week. In case you aren’t familiar with street tacos, they’re about half the size of regular tacos and oh so adorable!
These are awesome if you’re making them for friends and family, especially because they are nearly vegan and can easily be served completely vegan. The simple mixture of sweet potatoes, black beans, green bell peppers, and onions is seasoned with yummy taco flavors and makes for some fast, easy, and super filling tacos. I also serve them with my everyday favorite basic tomato salsa. My biggest issue with so many salsas is that they tend to get pretty watered down and not have that punch of flavor that makes them so good. That’s why my secret hack for preventing that is to add tomato paste. It really makes all the difference and I’ve had both friends and family tell me it’s the best they’ve ever had.
Now if you have some adamant meat lovers, feel free to include chicken, ground beef, or even shredded pork in the mix or on the side. I served these with my classic homemade salsa, sour cream, extra cilantro, and some cheddar. Theres always room for guacamole too of course, or any other toppings you’d like.
Black Bean Sweet Potato TacosTori Cooper
- 1 12-count package flour street taco tortillas (or 6 - 8 larger ones if you prefer)
- 1 medium sweet potato cubed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium green bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese optional
- jarred or homemade recipe follows salsa
- sour cream or Greek yogurt
- guacamole or sliced avocado
- juice of 1 lime
- chopped cilantro
- salt & pepper
My Favorite Simple Salsa:
- Click the link above for the recipe.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat and add the sweet potato, green bell pepper, garlic, and onion. Stir constantly for 6 to 8 minutes until the onions are translucent and the potatoes are tender.
- Add the black beans, chili powder, cumin, and salt and pepper to taste. (If you'd like to add meat this is also where you'd add it.)
- Warm tortillas in a tortilla steamer or foil pouch in oven if desired and gather your toppings. Serve tacos hot with all the toppings you'd like!
Salsa: (*see note on prep)
- Mix all ingredients for salsa in a medium bowl until well combined.
Tori is a food blogger with a passion for what she does. She shares all her recipes, photography, and bits about her life living in Patagnia Chile on her blog, Gringalicious.