PARTNER POST – Inspire your spring cooking with refreshing meals featuring Eggland’s Best Eggs.
For breakfast or dinner, this flavorful toast can be ready in less than 15 minutes and with an egg, radishes and arugula, it is hearty enough to keep you full.
Here’s a simple recipe for Avocado Toast with Poached Eggs, arugula, Zaatar, meyer lemons and Spring radishes. It’s a flavorful dish, packed full of nutrients and perfect for breakfast, lunch, or even a light dinner. It’s very easy to make and can be made in 15 minutes flat. The Zaatar spice – a middle Eastern Spice Blend of cumin, sumac, thyme, coriander and sesame seeds – gives it an earthy tangy flavor while the fragrant Meyer lemon adds a zesty brightness. Together, it’s a delicious combination. If you can’t find Zaatar, you can always make it, (click here) or simply use a sprinkle of cumin for a similar effect.
This month is national Nutrition Month and Eggland’s Best is partnering with us to create a healthy and nutritionally balanced dish featuring their farm fresh eggs. If unfamiliar, Eggland’s Best farm fresh eggs are produced by hens fed a wholesome, all vegetarian diet, with no added hormones, steroids, antibiotics or processed foods… giving the eggs an added boost of nutrients along with better tasting yolks. Their eggs actually have 25% less saturated fat than regular eggs and are a high in Vitamin D, B12, E and Omega-3s.
Poach a couple of eggs. I find, if you crack the eggs into a small bowl first, it’s easier to slip into the simmering water to poach. Of course you can also fry the egg, over easy.
Avocado and Egg Zaatar ToastSylvia Fountaine
- 1 ripe medium-larege avocado
- 1 meyer lemon- zest and juice or use regular lemon
- 3 teaspoons olive oil - divided
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 slices wholesome bread
- ½ cup baby arugula
- 4 radishes thinly sliced
- 2 Eggland’s Best Egg large - cracked into a small bowl
- pinch salt and pepper
- generous pinch Zaatar spice or sub cumin, sumac, or coriander
- aleppo chili flakes optional
- Set a medium pot, filled with two inches of lightly salted water with a teaspoon of white vinegar ( optional) to boil on the stove.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl, taking care to keep yolks in tact, set aside.
- Cut the avocado in half, remove the seed and scoop out the flesh into a small bowl.
- Add 1 teaspoon zest, the juice from half a lemon, 2 teaspoons oil, salt and pepper and stir and mash with a fork to combine. It does not need to be smooth. Taste. Adjust salt, you want this to be slightly salty and lemony.
- Toast the bread.
- Once the water is boiling turn heat down so it’s just simmering. Give a stir, and slip the Eggland's Best eggs right into the simmering water, gently stirring in a circular motion around the eggs.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes or until egg white is set. Turn heat off.
- Spread ½ of the avocado mixture on the toast. Top with sliced radish. Top with a mound of baby arugula. Drizzle with olive oil, a little lemon, and salt.
- Using a slotted spoon place the poached egg over the dressed arugula.
- Sprinkle the Egland's Best Egg with salt, pepper and a generous pinch of zaatar spice.
- Add chili flakes if you like.
Caterer and chef of Feast Catering Co., my blog Feasting at Home is where I share wholesome, seasonal recipes we cook at home.