A recipe that has the unmistakable scent of cinnamon, filled with hazelnut cream. Soft and delicious, this cake is ideal an ideal dessert.
By Veronica Lavenia
Photos by G. Giustolisi
A recipe that has the unmistakable scent of cinnamon, filled with hazelnut cream. Soft and delicious, this cake is ideal as a dessert or for a very energetic breakfast.
- 2 organic eggs
- a pinch of salt
- 100 g (3½ oz-½ cup) raw sugar
- 100 g (3½ oz-½ cup) brown rice flour
- 3 teaspoons organic baking powder
- 100 g (3½ oz-½ cup) toasted and chopped hazelnuts
- 60 g (2oz) breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 125 ml (4 fl oz- ½ cup) milk
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (or 8 tablespoons cold pressed sunflower oil)
- Cocoa and hazelnut cream spread to taste (palm oil free)
- Beat the egg yolks with the sugar. Add the flour, baking powder, hazelnuts, breadcrumbs and cinnamon.
- Add the egg whites with a pinch of salt, milk, oil and mix, kneading the dough from bottom to top to prevent it from coming loose.
- Pour the dough into small molds, greased and floured.
- Bake at 180° C (350°F/gas 4) for 25 minutes.
- Once cooled, cut the cake in two parts and fill with hazelnuts and cocoa cream spread.
Veronica is a born and raised Italian. She inherited her love for travel, passion for cooking and natural, sustainable, healthy slow food from her parents. Her works have appeared in 'Vegetarian Living', 'Veggie Magazine', 'Lifestyle food', 'Australian Good Food & Travel Guide', 'Chickpea' and 'Free from Heaven', among others. She is the author of "Panini: the simple tastes of Italian style bread"; 'The Rustic Italian bakery", "The Vegetarian Italian Kitchen" and "A Modern Italian table", published by New Holland Publishers Australia.