SPONSORED STORY – BROUGHT TO YOU BY CASTELLO ALPS SELECTION
These cheesy biscuits are so cozy and comforting, they’ll make you want to take a nap.
By Karolina Palmer
The cheese provided by Castello all worked brilliantly in this recipe. I particularly loved the Hirten. It’s similar to a Parmesan in its unctuousness and “umami” flavor. It has a bite that I enjoyed. The Classic brings an ever so faint smokiness and the Weissbier had a hoppy beer note that rounded out the whole cheese mixture. You could use any one of these as a stand alone or mix them, as I did. They played up wonderfully to the sweet caramelized onions and the nutty whole wheat flour.
- 4 small onions, sliced
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 8 t baking powder
- ½ T sea salt
- ½ T cream of tartar
- 1½ cups of buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 10 oz Castello Alpine Cheese, grated (I used a combination of Classic, Hirten, and Weissbier)
- 3 sticks of cold unsalted butter, cubed
- To caramelize the onions: Coat the bottom of a sauté pan with olive oil, or a mixture of olive oil and butter. Over medium heat, add the onion slices and stir to coat the onions with the oil. Spread the onions out evenly over the pan and let cook, stirring occasionally for half an hour to an hour, making sure not to let them burn.
- Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, baking poder, sea salt, and cream of tartar.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk and eggs.
- To the dry mixture, add the cold butter and work it in with your hands until the it resembles a shaggy corse texture.
- Add in the buttermilk/egg, cheese, and caramelized onions. Mix with hands, making sure not to overwork the dough but knead it enough to incorporate everything together.
- Once dough is brought together, cut biscuits into rounds or squares about 1½ inches thick and about 2½ inches wide. You should get about 20-24 biscuits.
- Evenly spaced, place biscuits in baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- (Optional: Brush with buttermilk and sprinkle with sea salt. You won’t regret it.)
- Bake for 12 – 15 minutes.