30 Minute Chicken Puttanesca. Juicy chicken thighs simmered in a rich tomato broth with olives and capers.
I have always been a huge olive lover and Puttanesca sauce is one of my favorites dishes. Puttanesca sauce is a super easy tomato based sauce with olives, capers, onions and garlic. The olives and capers add a nice saltiness and brininess to the sauce.
I love this dish for many reason: 1. It uses up a lot of pantry staples: diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes and tomato paste. 2. It is ready in under 30 minutes! 3. You can also bake this dish OR make it in the slow cooker!
For all 3 cooking methods the chicken first get’s browned in a hot pan to crisp up the skin. Then it get’s simmered in the tomato and olive based broth. The chicken thighs come out super tender and moist from simmering in the broth. You can either finish cooking the chicken on the stove top or in the oven. Everything can also be thrown in a slow cooker and cooked low and slow for hours.
Serve this dish over spaghetti or orzo with a heavy sprinkle of parmesan cheese!
- 1 tablespoon extra virigin olive oil
- 4 chicken thighs, bone in and skin on
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup red wine
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce can) garlic fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon capers
- ½ cup olives, pitted and sliced
- 1-2 tablespoons tomato paste, if needed
- salt and pepper to taste
- parsley or basil for serving, if desired
- parmesan cheese for serving, if desired
- Add oil to a large pot or dutch oven.
- Heat over high heat and add in chicken thighs. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Brown the chicken on both sides (about 2-3 minutes on each side). Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Add in the onion to the same pot and cook until tender, 3-4 minutes.
- Add in garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in wine and deglaze the pan. Scrap the browned bits off the bottom.
- Stir in chicken broth, fire roasted tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, capers and olives.
- Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked. (Or use either method below)
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- If you want a thicker sauce add in 1-2 tablespoons tomato paste or as needed.
- For Slow Cooker Method
- Cook for 4-6 hours on low.
- For Baking Method
- Cover and roast in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes or until cooked.