Thank goodness for mashed potatoes. Unlike cranberry sauce and stuffing, you’ll be hard-pressed to find folks who dismiss the homemade whipped side as “just not for them” at a holiday table. Perhaps this is partly due to their incredible versatility—from savory to sweet, mashed potatoes can be dressed up in countless ways with minimal effort to suit any taste.
By Emily Arno
Below, we have listed 14 creative recipe concepts calling for just three ingredients each. Start with your favorite mashed potato recipe and then add and adjust the flavor combinations to taste. Note: Some concepts are linked to full recipes!
Russet, Red, Yukon and Yellow Potato Concepts
- Green onions + smoked gouda + bacon
- Smoked paprika + cloves garlic + whole milk
- Chorizo + chives + cheddar cheese
- Bacon + blue cheese + whole milk
- Cabbage + feta + parsley
- Broccoli + cheddar + ground black pepper
- Fontina + pancetta + sour cream
- Spinach + cream + cheddar
- Peas + scallions + sour cream
- Carrots (1/3 amount of potatoes being used, boiled with) + greek yogurt + dill
- Neufchatel cheese + bacon + green onions
Sweet Potato Concepts
- Vanilla + eggnog + brown sugar
- Red curry paste + cinnamon + coconut milk
- Browned butter + sage + butternut squash
This article was originally posted as, “Simple 3-Ingredient Mashed Potato Mix-Ins” on Relish.
Offering more than 14,000 recipes plus features and DIYs on cooking, dining and entertaining, Relish celebrates America's love of food. Relish is about honoring cooking traditions while exploring new trends and ideas, which is why millions of people turn to both Relish.com and Relish Magazine for special occasion recipes, quick and easy weeknight suppers and culinary adventures.