Poppy seeds add crunch and lemon brightens these hearty whole wheat scones.
By Lauren Hardy
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 stick butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup & 1 tablespoon milk, divided
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt in a food processor and pulse until combined. Drop in the cold butter pieces and pulse quickly until butter is chopped into pea-sized bits.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together 1 of the eggs, vanilla, ½ cup of milk and lemon juice.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the food processor while running until just combined.
- Transfer the dough onto a well-floured surface and knead slightly while forming into a 1? high disc. Using a sharp knife, coated in flour, slice the disc into 8 pieces (like cutting a pie). Place the scones onto a greased cookie sheet.
- Next, whisk together the remaining egg and 1 tablespoon of milk. Using a pastry brush, coat the scones in the egg wash.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the scones are golden brown and firm on top.