Partner Post: Rethink your cocktails and experience the exceptional flavors of Don Q Rums.
Celebrate the start of spring with this bright tasting strawberry-lime spiced rum Moscow mule.
I’ve been very busy, but when Don Q Rum asked me to help introduce their new Oak Barrel Spiced Rum, I knew it was something I had to do. Because of the gorgeous spring weather we’ve been having here, this strawberry-lime spiced rum moscow mule seemed like the obvious choice to showcase the product.
The Oak Barrel Spiced Rum is buttery and delicious, with a great smooth finish. It pairs perfectly with strawberries and lime, each playing off of each other with the many different flavor notes. I love a good moscow mule, and while they are normally made with vodka, I really loved putting the spiced rum in this one because it surprisingly went so well with the ginger beer.
The strawberry-lime simple syrup is a snap to make (everyone knows about my love for simple syrups – see here, here, here, and here, just to name a few), but it’s really essential for this cocktail. Muddle a few leaves of mint and the simple syrup in the bottom of a moscow mule cup or cocktail glass, add ice, spiced rum, ginger beer, and lime, and stir well. That’s all it takes to enjoy this delicious cocktail.
PS- I’ve been cooking a lot more recently, so plan on seeing a few new posts from me shortly!
Check out more information on Don Q Oak Barrel Spiced Rum and additional drink: donq.com.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1-2 limes
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh mint
- 1 oz strawberry-lime simple syrup
- 2 oz Don Q Oak Barrel Spiced Rum
- Juice of 1 lime
- Ginger beer, to top
- In a saucepan, mix together the sugar and water over medium high heat and bring to a boil. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Turn the heat down to low and add the strawberries. Cook for about 10 minutes. At the end, add the juice of 1-2 limes. Set aside to cool completely, then refrigerate until ready to use.
- For the Moscow mule, muddle the mint leaves and strawberry-lime simple syrup in the bottom of a glass to release the flavors of the mint. Add ice, and then pour in the vodka, lime juice, and top with the ginger beer. Stir well and serve immediately.