This cocktail is cool, refreshing, and so easy to make, no fancy ingredients required.
In case you need a good reason to make a delicious cocktail, how about this, it’s super easy to make, it’s spicy and it’s totally refreshing!
This recipe skips the time consuming step of infusing the tequila with habanero. Instead, all of the heat comes from a delicious simple syrup that comes together easily in 10 minutes. Just add a bit of it to a cocktail shaker along with the tequila, grapefruit juice and a splash of triple sec. Rim your glass with some salt (I LOVE using these easy to make citrus salts), pour out your concoction, top it with some extra ice for those hot nights, and you are good to go! No fancy ingredients, no time consuming steps.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 habanero (sliced)
- 2 ounces tequila
- 2 ounces ruby red grapefruit juice
- 1 ounce triple sec
- 1 ounce spicy simple syrup
- Salt, for rimming the glasses (I like to use citrus salts, find the link above for the recipe)
- In a small saucepan, combine the water and sugar. Heat over high heat, stirring so that the sugar dissolves into the water. The mixture will go from milky white to clear. At this point, add the sliced habanero.
- Allow the mixture to come to a rapid boil, and then immediately turn the heat down so it just simmers. Let it simmer for 10 minutes, and then remove from the heat. The syrup will reduce and thicken slightly, and will take on a slightly orange tint.
- Allow the syrup to cool (about 30 minutes). Remove the pepper pieces and any stray floating seeds, and discard them.
- Dip glass in salt to cover the rim. Combine the tequila, grapefruit juice, triple sec and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker. Shake to combine and strain into a salted margarita glass. Add ice cubes and serve.