Aromatic dumplings may be pan-fried or steamed before they are served with a flavorful soy and chili sauce.
By Elaine Luo
Fried pot stickers are also known as fried dumplings. Generally, the dumplings are folded as little moons for pot stickers. In China, we have about 10 different ways of folding dumplings and little moon style is the most commonly used shape.
Chive and pork is the perfect match for pot stickers. The aroma goes really well in the flour wrapper, and the dumpling gives off a delicious smell after it is pan-fried or cooked in water. In Chinese spring festival, people around the whole country cook chive dumplings.
However in daily life, I love to make dumplings with different stuffing and various dips. I use a spicy dip to go along with the flavor of the stuffing.
You may hear that pot stickers are steamed then pan-fried. I introduce an easier way. I just pan-fried the pot stickers directly. However there are some important tips that need attention. If you steam the dumplings first, the skin might become more transparent and chewy. And directly pan-frying gives a more crispy taste of the skin.
- 1 package dumpling wrappers around 300g (10 ounces)
- 1 small bunch of Chinese chive around 500g (17 ounces)
- 500g (17 ounces) ground pork (with some fat will be better)
- 2 middle size eggs
- 1 inch root ginger
- 2 teaspoons vegetable cooking oil
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp white pepper powder
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili oil (I use laoganma)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon chicken essence
- 1 teaspoon roasted sesame seed
- Clean and chop the chive into small pieces. Prepare the ground pork.
- Chop the ginger into small pieces and soak in boiled cool water to get the ginger water.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground pork with two eggs. Add chive pieces, ginger water and salt, white pepper powder and then mix well in one direction around 4-5 minutes until you get a paste consistency. Add 1 teaspoon cooking oil and continue to mix in the same direction. Put aside for at least 15 minutes.
- Began to fold dumplings; spoon one spoon of stuffing in the center of the wrapper in your left hand and then water the edges with some water. Press the center part together, and then fold some pleats according to your own like. Do enclose the two edges together.
- Brush pan with oil and put the dumplings in. Do leave some space among each other.
- Then sprinkle some water evenly on the pan and turn up your fire to begin frying.
- Toss the pot stickers occasionally to avoid over cook. Move the pot stickers out.
- Prepare saucers and add the ingredients for the dips and serve hot!