Melt-in-your-mouth shortbread and dulce de leche bars are such a simple dessert to make, but the result is a rich, impressive treat.
By Gina Kleinworth
The light buttery flavor of the shortbread combined with the richness of the dulce de leche is heaven – absolute heaven.
Shortbread is so easy to make. It takes just a couple of ingredients and you are in business.
- 1 egg
- 2 sticks butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup Dulce de Leche
- ¼ cup any flavor or color candy melts
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Spray 8x8 glass baking dish with cooking spray- set aside
- Combine sugars, butter & vanilla in mixer & beat until combined
- Stir in egg
- Add flour - beat until well combined
- Press ¾ of the dough into prepared baking dish.
- Place remaining dough in refrigerator until it's time to use it
- Bake 20 minutes - remove & allow to cool about 15 minutes
- Spread dulce de leche over the top in thin layer
- Drop remaining dough in clumps on top of the dulce de leche - do not spread out or press down.
- Return to oven & bake 25-30 minutes
- Remove from oven & place on wire rack in pan.
- Melt candy melts in small bowl for approx 1 minute to melt - stirring after 30 seconds
- Take a fork & dip in melted chocolate & drizzle over the shortbread bars
- Allow to cool completely before serving.